AMGC in brief
- Written by lawi
The African Minerals and Geo-sciences Centre (AMGC), formerly known as SEAMIC is an independent regional centre of knowledge and information for southern and eastern Africa established in 1977, under the umbrella of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA). Founder Member States are Ethiopia, Mozambique and Tanzania, later on joined by Angola, the Comoros and Uganda. Kenya joined the Centre in 2006. The Sudan is the new member of the Center joining in 2010. Membership is open to all other African countries.
To be a pioneer and leader in the provision of mineral services in Africa
To promote socio-economic and environmentally responsible mineral development in Africa
To be a Centre of Excellence and Significance able to provide specialized services for the mineral industries and the overall development of the sector in region.
- To establish, where relevant, Africa networks of programmes and services and to promote Africa collaboration.
- To promote indigenous mineral based industrialization.
- To promote awareness on potential of the mineral sector's contribution to the economic and social development in Africa.
- To promote responsible investment and free flow of capital, labor, goods and services for mining sector development in Africa.
- To facilitate the promotion of mining prospects with the highest potential for economic and social impact and
- To facilitate the harmonization of mineral sector's policies and legislation in Africa
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
AMGC is an ISO 9001-2008 certified, high tech minerals laboratory, training and consultancy services provider for Africa . Private companies, small scale miners, R&D institutions and the member states are its major clients. AMGC has 5 unique laboratories that cater for various services to the mining sector and these are:
- Chemical and Environmental Lab
Analyses various types of geological & environmental materials applying wet chemistry, XRF, XRD, ICP and mercury analytical techniques.
- Mineral Processing and Small Scale Mining Lab
Conducts mineral beneficiation services to provide basic data that is required for ore reserve estimation that would enable the economic viability of a mine.
- Mineralogy, Petrology and Gemmology Lab
Deals with testing and identification of rocks, minerals, clays and sediments and carries out gemstones and diamonds identification, grading, certification.
- Industrial Minerals Application Lab
Produces ceramic products & conducts product design and ceramics prototype production
- Geo-information Lab
Provides GIS, remote sensing applications and Geo-informatics data processing and consultancy services.
- All the Laboratories
Provide training and consultancy in the above mentioned fields.
- Written by lawi